Manhattan Child Custody Enforcement Attorney Can I do anything if my ex doesn't comply with our child custody agreement? You can file an enforcement petition in family court via your Manhattan family law attorney in [...]
What Happens if my Pet gets injured in a Car Accident?
There is no doubt that you love your pet and if any harm came to them, you would be devastated. While it may be complicated to get compensation for your pet when it gets injured or worse, killed, Levitsky Law Firm is an accident lawyer in Brooklyn who can help you get compensation in such situations. Let’s look at a few things that the courts will assess in order to return a favorable verdict that may comfort you or help you provide veterinary care for your pet.
What Considerations Are Made for Injured or Killed Pets?
When you sue over the demise or injury of your pet by a third party, here are some of the things that are considered in the case:
- Cost of treatment if your cat or dog was injured; which is usually determined by the extent of injuries as well as the animal’s age and condition.
- The pet’s worth depending on one of four methods used to measure it which are the fair market value, the cost of replacement, lost potential revenue if you kept your pet for breeding purposes thereby making it a business asset, or special economic value whereby you spent a considerable amount in training the pet and otherwise adding to its value.
- Loss of companionship and sentimental value especially when the pet was killed intentionally through malice or negligence, and simply replacing it would not factor in the companionship that the pet provided.
- Emotional distress whereby you had to witness your beloved pet suffer or die and the perpetrators were malicious.
- Punitive damages in cases where harm was caused willfully or due to gross negligence.
See a Lawyer For Assistance
If you have been caused sleepless nights by the harm or demise of your pet and have been performing searches like “Personal injury Brooklyn” and “Injury attorney Brooklyn”, Levitsky Law Firm has a solution for you. We are here to answer any questions you may have and guide you on getting compensation for the harm or killing of your beloved pet because we understand how much it hurts to see a companion suffer.